Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Social Phone

Yesterday I blogged about how psyched I was to have cellular data on my phone. Then I listed some things that the Ubuntu Touch needed to reach parity with my old Android phone, for me, personally. One of those missing things was a way to share images from my phone. But look! This actually works already. It turns out that there is a good start of social integration already started and working. 

Thanks to Bill Filler for walking me through the simple steps. Here's what to do if you want to get Twitter working.

Step 1: In your terminal, run the command $uoa-create twittter . So for me, I did "uoa-create twitter rickspencer3".(to get Facebook integration use $uoa-create facebook


Step 2: Wait for the Twitter auth web page to open. For some reason it is really tiny and you can't zoom it. The Facebook page is also tiny, but you can zoom it. However, be careful, the Facebook page requires you to click the commit button, which is way down on the bottom right. 

Step 3: Go to the Application lens. Search for the Friends app, and launch it.
Step 4: Glory in having your timeline on your phone!


Note that only Twitter and Facebook are integrated so far, more networks coming soon. Also note that you can't tweet pics from your gallery yet, but that is coming soon as well.

Of course, we can't rely on using a terminal to set up things like this. I'll be excited to see more social networks and a a GUI configurator land in the image.

6 comments:

  1. I've fixed the zoom issue in the facebook login page in saucy, so when the images switch to saucy that'll be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love these posts about Ubuntu phone, its very exciting watching it grow. I think for me to use it as a daily driver

    - email app with multiple account support

    - The cellular network needs to switch - automatically from 3g to wireless whenever each is available with a preference for wireless.

    - A settings GUI would be very useful.

    I have 2 galaxy nexus' so I am updating daily and checking progress.

    Thanks for your great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, loving to be part of this dogfooding!

    Just being a bit off topic, how do you do screen capture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SDK Team added a command to QtCreator that makes this easy. It's under Tools -> Ubuntu Touch -> Android Debugging.

      HTH

      Delete
  4. Nice I also share with you something hope this helpful for. Nowαdαys, customers mαy bring in α fαulty phone to αny of the cellulαr phone repαir centers. α Work Order Form will be issued, αnd α deposit towαrds the cellulαr phone repαir service must be mαde. αll cellulαr phones hαve α one-yeαr mαnufαcturer’s wαrrαnty. The cellulαr phone repαir centers will repαir or replαce phones under wαrrαnty αs long αs the user did not cαuse αny physicαl dαmαge to the phone. If the wαrrαnty hαs expired, the cellulαr phone repαir center might chαrge for repαirs. Once the cellulαr phone repαir job is over αnd the phone is returned by the relevαnt cellulαr phone repαir center, the customer mαkes the finαl pαyment αnd receives the repαired unit. Sometimes it’s best to just purchαse α new phone, becαuse cellulαr phone repαir costs cαn be αs high αs the cost of α new phone. Check it out thanks.
    Iphone Repairs

    ReplyDelete