So this week we welcomed didrocks to the team. He's the first of three folks that we will hire to work on maintaining the high standards for UNE that the mobile team set with UNR.
So I have joined a few folks in Paris this week to get the first real Lucid spin of UNE ready. We just finished with the blueprint for UNE application selection.
We decided that to start, UNE is for computing on the go, it's not going to be a work horse distro out of the box. Of course, users can use Software Center to customize the installed apps as they wish, but by default we are going to start with some very opinionated choices. Based on user feedback, we will continually revisit these choices.
- No office applications installed by default. Perhaps we will add links to some web based office apps. Otherwise, users can install Abi Word, etc... as they wish.
- No email client by default. We will assume that users will be using web based mail. They can install Thunderbird, Evolution, etc... as they wish.
- No photo manager. The assumption being that folks will consume photos but won't be managing them, etc...
- Have Cheese and Gwibber available by default, assuming folks will want to do some fun socially stuff with their netbooks.
- Hide some of the app menu entries for utilities that are available in the normal stream of use. This includes stuff like print job manager, the screen shot tool, etc...